# GENIUS LOCI FEST
SURF MUSIC YOGA LOVE
JUNE 20th - 24th 2019, BAJA MEXICO
SURF MUSIC YOGA LOVE
JUNE 20th - 24th 2019, BAJA MEXICO
Here is a link for carpooling: http://bit.ly/GeniusLociCarpool
TARGET LOCATION: PUNTA CABRAS BEACH, BAJA NORTE.
PLEASE NOTE: Do not drive at night in Mexico. Drive slower and more defensively than you would in California.
The main highway in Mexico is a toll road. It costs about $6 to go from Tijuana to Ensenada. They take pesos and American dollars at the Toll Booths. Have CASH!
Here is a link to the google map:
Here are the Step by Step Directions to Punta Cabras:
1. Take I - 5 south to the San Diego Tijuana border crossing. CROSS AND STAY IN THE FAR RIGHT LANE!!
2. After crossing you will immediately exit right towards "Playas Tijuana/ Rosarito Cuota". This is an Exit on the Right JUST AFTER the Border Crossing. DON'T MISS IT!!!
3. Continue straight on the "Tijuana - Ensenada" Road.
4. Take the ramp labeled "Ensenada Cuota/ Mexico 1".
5. Merge onto "Tijuana-Ensenada" Road.
6. Continue onto "Mexico 1D" for 56 miles until you reach Ensenada - please note there might be a detour at La Fonda that takes you up and into the hills around the highway, they are working on the highway there. It takes about 30 minutes to get back to the main highway.
7. Once in Enseada continue on "Rosarito - Ensenada/ Carr Federal 1". This is the main Boulevard in town and it runs along the coastline. When in doubt, head south.
8. Turn Left onto "Boulevard Estancia"
9. Turn right onto "Ensenada - Lazaro Cardenas/Carr Federal 1". Take this road for 42 miles. You will pass through a town called Maneadero. There is a supermarket on the Left side of the street called "Maria Luisa". This is the last spot to get all the Tequila, Taco Ingredients, Pasta, and Wine for the theme nights. Continue driving south to "Santo Tomas", (this is where the last gas station is). Continue on the main road for 16 miles after Santo Tomas and then you will take a right on the small dirt road to Erendira. ->(This road on the right is slanted at a 45 degree angle at about 2:00). If you reach a town called San Vicente, you missed the turn for Erendira, turn around and head back.
11. It's 10.5 miles between the main highway and Erendira. It is a fun drive, mostly along a dry river bed. Don't go too fast and slow down as you get to town because the police station is right at the beginning of town. On google maps the road is called "13 De Diciembre".
12. Drive slow through Erendira- Minding the HUGE Road Bumps. Smile at the locals, buy something, and realize that this is old Mexico. :)
13. Take the main road 1.5 miles slowly through town until it ends at the ocean. Take a right on a wide but bumpy dirt road along the ocean.
14. Follow the dirt road slowly for 6 miles along the ocean until you reach Punta Cabras. Please Drive Slow- to protect your vehicle, and to reduce kicking up dust.
15. After you go uphill past what seems like a ex-pat community, bear left at the Genius Loci Signage.
SUGGESTED SUPPLIES LIST.
We want you to be prepared and comfortable at Genius Loci.
Please check out our list of what to bring, and what NOT to bring.
Stuff To Bring:
YOUR NON-EXPIRED PASSPORT!! OR Your Driver's Lic & Birth Certificate.
CASH CASH CASH for food at the GL Kitchen, Bar, etc. No CC there.
First aid kit
Light Boots or Slip on Shoes that protect feet from small shell pieces in sand, & Flip Flops.
Tent/air mattress/light sleeping bag/sleeping pad
RVs are allowed
Flashlight and/or electric lantern (with charger - using your car)
Headlamps!! HEAD LAMPS, FLASHLIGHTS, LIGHTED THINGS OF ALL KINDS.
Canned food to eat/donate to locals
Baby Wipes and Hand Sanitizer
Toilet Paper !!!!!!!!!!!
Biodegradable Soap and Shampoo
Yoga Mats !
Several 5-gallon jugs of water for drinking + hand showers
Towels!!! + washcloths! + biodegradable soap + biodegradable shampoo (Please use only this kind of soaps and shampoos! as this is all going back to mother earth)
Shower Tents + Shower-bags. There are also showers for purchase this year.
Warm Clothes!! and Bathing Suits
A Large cooler
Ice, you will be able to periodically buy ice there as well
Grill + charcoal + lighter fluid + propane burner + cooking utensils
Metal or reusable cups and plates, forks and knives
Simple Food/Snacks: such as veggies and hummus, tortillas, guacamole, salsa, chips, coffee, eggs, cereal, milk, and stuff to make sandwiches
Sunscreen (keep reapplying!!)
A Hat or many hats
Aloe or after sun lotion
A shade structure - Steak it down well! The wind can kick up!
Lots of trash bags = this is a leave no trace camp out, pack it in pack it out!!!
Surfboards, wet suits, boogie boards
Mask, fins, and snorkel
Your prescription medication
Chairs to sit in
Beach games - Volleyballs and footballs if you are into it
Guitars, drums, instruments
Firewood and Duraflame logs. Contained & Safe Fires ARE ALLOWED. BUT BE SAFE!
Shoes that you would wear at Burning Man. At least one pair of closed shoes for deep sand with sharp pulverized shell pieces. Don't CUT YOUR FEET!!
Unwanted/ unused clothes in good shape to donate to the local charities!!
Stuff Not To Bring
Drugs (This includes weed)
Motorcycles or Jet-skis
Guns or weapons of any kind
Explosives or Fireworks
Genius Loci is a semi remote wilderness camping experience on the beach in Baja Mexico. The name of the location is Punta Cabras. It is just north of the town of Erendira. It is about 2.5 hours south of the US/Mexican border.
Here is a link to the location:
Do not drive at night in Mexico.
NO renegade sound
If you are stopped by authorities or police, do not say you are going to Genius Loci.
Indigenous people have been coming to the Punta Cabras region for over 10,000 years to fish and collect shellfish. We are beyond lucky to be using this land and it is mandatory that everyone respects the land and local people.
This is a leave no trace campout.
This is a campout/ mini festival. It is not a rave. It's a collection of beautiful people that want to have an amazing experience/adventure in Baja.
We will be camping. There is basically no infrastructure there. We are bringing in generators and porta potties.
We will have 24/7 security via the local Police.
This is a camping event. We love you, but please don't complain about camping at a camping event!
1. You are responsible for yourself. We love you, but please do not do anything stupid. If you think you are about to do something stupid, please stop. If you see someone else about to do something stupid, please stop them. Love your brother, love your sister, don't let them act stupid. Stupid in Mexico ends poorly. Don’t act stupid. Be polite, conscious, awake, and have fun. Don’t act stupid.
2. Do not drive at night in Mexico. You! Seriously! You have a purpose to fulfill in this world! You are a piece of the peace! Driving at night in Mexico is exponentially more dangerous...don’t drive at night.
3. Drugs are illegal in Mexico. Your car will get searched on the way down. They probably will not search your person, but your car will certainly get searched. Marijuana, weed, pot, grass, reefer brah, whatever you call it, is illegal in Mexico! You will go to jail for possession! Drugs are looked at a lot differently in Mexico than in California. Drugs in Mexico is not awake, is simply being unconscious! Let's choose consciously! Easy! Do not bring drugs to Mexico. Do not buy drugs in Mexico. Drugs are bad kids, Umkay? Hugs not drugs.
4. There will not be a lifeguard at Genius Loci. Do not go in the ocean by yourself or at night. If you cannot swim, do not go in the ocean. If you do not swim well, do not go into the ocean. Doing so would be stupid, we already asked you really nicely to not act stupid :) Easy!
5. Guns are illegal in Mexico. If you were thinking about bringing a gun, a weapon, or anything slightly related to a weapon, you are certainly at the wrong campout. We are one non-violent, peaceful family. Do not bring instruments to harm others. Weapons in Mexico in is simply being unconscious! Hopefully, you are beginning to see a pattern here! Let's be conscious, awake, and have fun.
6. There are cliffs around the campsite. We will do our best to mark the cliffs, but please watch where you are going and always have a flashlight on you at all times. Headlamps are ideal and hands-free.
7. You can cross the border with a passport, or a driver's license and birth certificate.
8. Cell phones do not work at the location....did we mention that you are responsible for yourself? Do not act stupid.
9. The last gas station before Punta Cabras is located in the town of Santo Tomas about 30 miles before Punta Cabras on the main highway.
10. Bring CASH, we cannot take credit cards at the location. The last ATM is located in the Supermarket in Maneadero, but we recommend getting cash in San Diego or Ensenada. Also, please don't act stupid.
Please bring enough drinking water and food for yourself for the weekend.
There will periodically be local vendors on site selling food.
All this being said, it would be wise to bring enough food and water for yourself for three days. You are responsible for yourself.
We will be selling beer :)
Q: What does the ticket include?
A: Yoga classes, music, surfing, land permits, security, domes, sound system, organizational fees etc.
Q: Do cell phones work there?
A: Nope sorry facebook master, it will have to wait until Monday ;)
Q: Will there be a bar?
A: We will be selling delicious cold beer and liquor.
Q: Can we bring our RV?
A: RV space is very limited
Q: Is there a hotel nearby?
A: Yep, it's called Coyote Cal's, here is the link: http://www.coyotecals.com/index.php
Q: Will my car make it there?
A: We don't know your car, but any car that can drive to San Francisco from LA can make it to Genius Loci.
The local governments have asked that we bring unused/ unwanted clothes and blankets for their less fortunate as well as the following canned food:
Non-perishable canned goods.
Cans of beans and chickpeas
Cans of tuna or salmon
Cans of assorted vegetables
Bags of sugar
Bags of flour
Additionally, one county asked that we give them help with their Ambulance. If you can facilitate, please contact us or better yet show up with some stuff to style them out!
LAST REMINDERS :
Please Do Not Do Anything Stupid
Please Do Not Drive at Night
Please Do Not Bring Drugs
Leave No Trace